Hobart is one of the leading manufacturers of reliable and quality welding machines. The company was founded in 1917 and since that time it has been designing, testing and making a complete line of welders as well as cutting machines in compliance with the highest industry standards. The company is also into the production of welding accessories and auto-darkening welding helmets which they started in 2000. Hobart welders can be used for a number of applications such as auto repair, farming, production and maintenance and work around the house. Hobart has a wide range of welding equipment for different experience level both professionals and beginner welders.
1996 was a significant year in the history of the company when it was acquired by Illinois Tools Works which is a popular maker of tools, equipment and industrial products. Its subsidiaries include Jetline, Tregaskiss, Bernard and Miller Electric Mfg. Co. However, all the brands of the company were brought under a single Brand called Hobart brand. After the consolidation, the company continues with the production of well formulated and designed welders of the top most quality with which operators can use to enhance productivity and reduce operation costs. Hobart today produces different kinds of welders such as wire feed welders, spoon guns, welders with generators, TIG welders, sticks welders and other cutting tools. Hobart welders are available in series including Handler series, Stickmate series, EZ and Champion series.
Each of these series is well formulated, designed and strongly designed for a particular group of people. Before you purchase any Hobart welder, it is important that you read the reviews of the product to find out if it is designed to meet your welding requirements and also to know its features as well as its pros and cons. Below is a review of top rated welding machines from this giant. Take time to read our short Hobart welder reviews as it will help you to make an informed decision when it is time to purchase a new welder for work.
Hobart MIG (Wire Feed) welder reviews
Hobart Handler 130
Hobart 500568 Handler 130 makes the list of top rated Hobart welders. The product is strongly designed and equipped with the basic feature which you require to achieve neat welding results. It is available in compact and lightweight design. The product weighs only 51 pounds with a product dimension of 13 x 10 x 17 inches. It is constructed with metal material and tough plastic material giving it enhanced durability. The unit can be used for solid wire welding applications thanks to the built-in gas valve it comes with. Operators welding with self-shielded flux-cored wire require to adjust a single knob for mild steel’s thickness and this is made possible by the patented EZ-Mode feature it comes with. The unit does not require shielding gas in order to weld. Once you box the unit, you are ready to weld in flux cored wire using .030-.035. Regardless of the small size of the flux cored wire, it gives a solid weld thanks to the speed with which it feeds. Welding with this machine is very easy because the unit has a proven built-in wire feeder which features a quick-release drive roll tension lever.
It is the best option for beginners and do-it-yourself enthusiasts. It is also a great option for use in workshops with limited space.
- It is available in a compact and lightweight design.
- It delivers quality welds.
- It does not deliver huge power like Handler 140.
- It has great design with stunning visual appeal.
- It does not come with gas meaning that you have to spend money for the purchase of the gas and regulator before you can MIG weld.
Hobart Handler 140
Hobart 500559 Handler 140 is 25–140 amps designed to be operated on 115 volt household current. It is a US made welder which features an industrial cast aluminum drive system. It is a portable Hobart MIG welder which does not require you to have any additional kit before you can MIG weld. It is strongly made to last for many years. Besides, it is covered with the company’s industrial warranty of 5/3/1. It offers an awesome arc performance featuring a 5-position tapped voltage control selector with which the operators can use to make their arc better. Thus, regardless of the thicknesses of the material you are welding, you will enjoy a smooth stable arc. It has 20 percent duty cycle @ 90A with a weld thickness of 24 gauges up to 1/4 inch steel.
It is a great welding machine for work around the house and maintenance works. Thus, it is a great tool for do-it-yourself enthusiasts as well as an average welder and it can be used for different purposes.
- It is easy to set up and MIG ready. The user manual comes with an easy-to-understand set-up guide. You don’t have to be a professional before you will be able to set up this product welding.
- It is a versatile welder as it can be used on different applications and for different purposes. It can also be used to weld different metal materials such as aluminum, mild steel and stainless steel.
- It delivers higher power than Handler 130. It delivers industrial performance thanks to its industrial cast aluminum drive system.
- It is covered with a 5 years warranty and the package comes with the basic tools you need to start welding.
- It has good packaging.
- Handler 140 has a small voltage and thus, it may not handle big projects.
Hobart Handler 190
Strongly created not just to last but to deliver superior weld, Handler 190 boasts of industrial performance and easy-to-use features. It is 230 volt Hobart MIG welder which can be used to weld different metal materials with different thickness. It can also be adjusted for different wires. It is very easy to set up. With an output range of 25 to 190 amps, this welding machine is designed for welding aluminum. Aluminum wire welding normally gives rise to feeding problems but operators of this welder do not experience such a problem as they can plug-in the optional SpoolRunner 100 spool gun directly. They don’t require any adapter or control box before they will be able to connect the SpoolRunner 100. Switch guns are very easy and quick thanks to its selector switch for spool gun and MIG gun operation. This Hobart welder comes with a great specification with a duty cycle of 30 percent @ 130 amps. It can weld 24 ga. up to 5/16 in. mild steel. It has 7 voltage settings and with these, operators are able to fine tune their arc performance. It has reliable cast aluminum feed head with quick-release roll lever and dual groove, quick change drive roll.
It is a good option for beginners that will need 120 volt and yet will have a need to upgrade to higher volt when their welding skills improve. This is because you don’t have to purchase another welder with more power and higher duty cycle when your skills improve.
- The package includes everything required except PPE and MIG pliers.
- It is very easy to set and use.
- It can be used for welding on different metal materials such as aluminum, steel, mild steel and stainless steel.
- Its user manual is well prepared and helpful to users.
- It is covered with manufacturer’s warranty.
- The controls are user-friendly.
- It can be used for different purposes and in a number of applications.
- You may have to buy some wires as only flux core wires are included.
- The power cord is short.
Hobart Handler 210 MVP
Hobart 500553 Handler 210 is designed for use in different applications and for different welding purposes such as auto body panels, trailer frames & hitches, mower decks, exhaust systems, farm equipment, metal sculpture, fences, lawn & garden equipment, gun/bow racks, tool carts and others thanks to the features it comes with. Included in the package are the basic accessories and components you need to start welding such as 115v and 230 v multiple voltage plug, gas hose, dual gauge regulator, power cord with plug and others. Users of this welding unit enjoy enhanced convenience and portability thanks the multi-voltage plug the unit comes with. Operators are able to weld in a single pass 24 gauges to 3/8 inch steel. It features dual-groove quick change drive roll and 7 out voltage settings. It requires shielding gas for MIG but not for flux core. It has 30 percentage duty cycle @ 150 amps, output range of 25 to 210A and four voltage selections 115V. It also features a quick change drive roll system and cast aluminum drive system.
It is great for welding enthusiasts that engage in different kinds of welding as the product can be used for different welding applications and purposes. It is a great tool for beginners and people with low skills.
- It is flexible, versatile and convenient to use.
- It offers quiet operation.
- It is easy to set up which can be accomplished in a matter of minutes. It comes with easy-to-understand user manual.
- You don’t have to be a professional before you will be able to make use of this Hobart welding machine.
- It delivers long lasting performance thanks to its output duty cycle.
- It comes with thermal overload system which makes for safety during usage.
- It may not perfectly fit on the entry level welding cart because of its wide housing.
- It is not great for professional user or heavy-duty welding.
Hobart Ironman 230
Hobart 500536 Ironman 230 is designed to provide huge power for industrial performance. It is a great product that you can use to obtain excellent welding result thanks to its well optimized arc. Welding with this product does not result in any spatter and thus, there is almost nothing to clean up after welding. Owing to its power, it is a great Hobart welder for fabrication, construction, maintenance and other repair work as well as welding around the house. The package comes with the basic tools and accessories you need to start welding such as primary input power cable with plug, 5 feet gas hose with fitting, regulator/flowmeter, 10 ft. work cable with clamp, 2 plastic cable hangers, .030/.035 in. dual groove drive roll and additional contact tips. It also features built-in running gear/cylinder rack, infinite wire feed speed control for adjusting the penetration. Hobart 500536 is protected from damage as a result of overheat during usage by the built-in thermal overload it comes with. Its wire drive system can easily be accessed via the hinged door for easy changing of the spool and drive roll. The arc can easily be fine controlled via the twelve-tap voltage control of the product. It has a product dimension of 36.5 x 18.9 x 31.5 inches and product weight of 270 pounds.
This product is a great choice for welders in construction and manufacturing settings or anyone engaging in light and moderate welding tasks as it is capable of delivering huge power.
- It delivers good value for money, excellent arc quality, huge duty cycle and awesome voltage control.
- It is easy to set up and start welding with.
- It can be fined tuned for different welding styles and different materials as it is almost infinitely adjustable.
- It is affordable considering its performance and quality.
- It comes with fan-on-demand feature with 12 voltage settings.
- It is not very portable and flexible and thus may not be suitable for use in a work shop with limited space.
- Its MIG gun looks inferior or light; the same thing can be said of the ground clamp.
- It comes with short power cable and ground cables.
Hobart TIG welder reviews
Hobart EZ TIG 165i
Hobart 500551 EZ TIG 165i is 230v AC/DC welder which delivers superior welding results. It can be used to weld different kinds of metal materials including aluminum of thickness range from 22 ga. to 3/16 inch as well as stainless steel, steel and chromoly. This Hobart TIG welder is an impressively portable welder with a product weight of 50 lbs. It comes with two handles for easy carriage and impressive portability. Besides, it has an inverter-based design. It features RFCS-RJ45 remote foot control for easy control with the foot. Its interface is user-friendly having only a switch and a knob. The fan operates when there is a need for it. The fan-on-demand feature helps to enhance the durability of the product. This is because the fan removes debris and dusts that can impede on the performance of the machine and cause damage to the entire system. It does not consume much power even though it delivers more consistent welding arc because of its inverter-based power source. Hobart 500551 shuts itself down when the temperature is higher than the required thanks to its automatic high temperature shutdown feature. It features auto-postflow which offers maximum shielding based on the welding amperage without requiring adjustment or any need for waste.
It is a great option for beginners and welding enthusiasts on budget as well as welders looking for a versatile welding unit. It is only great for light industrial use and not for heavy fabrication work.
- It is highly portable.
- It is a versatile product as it can be used to weld different kinds of metals.
- It is quite affordable and yet it delivers impressive welding results.
- It is not difficult to set and comes with well prepared user manual.
- It delivers awesome weld performance.
- The package comes with only 3/32 cullet and cullet body. Thus welders that utilize 0.20, 0.040 or 1/16 inches will have to buy them differently.
Hobart stick welder reviews
Hobart Stickmate 205
Hobart 500502 Stickmate 205 is an excellent workmanship and embodiment of features, stunning performance and durability for which Hobart products are known for. This Hobart stick welder designed for the welding of stainless steel, steel and cast iron. It is a large welding machine with a product dimension of 18 x 13 x 19 inches and a product dimension of 89.2 pounds. It operates on 76 volts with a duty century of 100 percent @ 90A and 20 percent @ 165A. The range of its welding amperage is between 30 and 205 AC. The amperage and heat output can be controlled accurately thanks to the Accu-Set amperage indicator that it comes with. It also comes with a forced-draft cooling fan which operates regularly. With a continuous operation of the fan, the lifespan of the power source is extended. Users of this product are able to adjust output increasing it to 1 amp via the infinite current control feature that it comes with.
It is a great choice for people running repair and maintenance shops or people working in fabrication and construction companies as well as auto-repair workshops. It can also be used for welding around the house.
- It can be used for welding in just about any welding job shop thanks to its impressive versatility.
- It delivers great power and good welding results better than other products in its class.
- It is available in a compact design and has a moderate weight. Thus, it is very portable and can easily be moved from one location to another.
- It is covered by Hobart 5/3/1 warranty.
- It is not suitable for welding on aluminum. Thus, it is not great for people that want to weld on aluminum.
Hobart Stickmate LX235
With a duty cycle of 100 percent at 100A and 20% at 225A, this Hobart welder delivers great power making welding on steel, stainless steel cast iron to be a breeze. It is capable of welding of up 1/2 in. in a single phase. The product comes with infinite current control which helps operators to make an adjustment of the output at least by 1 amp increment. Its heat output and amperage can be controlled by the operators via the Accu-Set amperage indicator. It is a versatile welding unit offering you the option of AC or DC stick electrodes. With the AC output, you will enjoy easier starts and have less arc blow while with the DC output, you will have fewer arc outages, less splatter, less sticking, easier out-of-position welding and enhanced arc outages. Operators do not have to make adjustments of the output leads in order to be able to choose low or high range which can easily be accomplished via the output selector.
Both professionals and do-it-yourself hobbyists can make use of this Hobart stick welder for light or moderate welding tasks.
- It delivers awesome welding performance.
- Considering its performance, it is highly affordable.
- It is great for welding on stainless steel, cast iron and steel.
- It is not bulky and weighty making carriage from one location to another very easy.
- Given that it is not designed for welding of aluminum, its versatility is found wanting.
Top Hobart welders with generators
Hobart Champion 145
Hobart 500491 Champion 145 comes with a power generator which is capable of generating 4,500 watts surge power as well as Watts of 4,000 continuous power. It comes with a gas tank of 6.25 galloon and with this capacity, the run time is quite impressive. It features a 10 horsepower 4 cycle OHV engine of Briggs & Stratton 305cc. It delivers great stick welding performance with 40-145 Amp DC weld output. It can be used to weld steel, cast iron and stainless steel using electrodes of 5/32 inch. Users will not experience power dropout as it has emergency backup power and ample auxiliary power for equipment and accessories to the 6-50R 20 Amp, 240V AC outlet and four 20 Amp, 120 AC GFCI outlets it comes with. Just like other Hobart welders it is covered with the company’s 5/3/1 limited warranty. It features pull, circuit breaker start type, 30% duty cycle @ 130A and 25V, welding amperage range of 40 to 145, welding thickness of 1/4 inch and engine displacement (cc) of 305. It is a large size welder with a dimension of 33 L x 23.5 W x 32 H inches with a product weight of 262.
It is a great option for a welder working in a work setting where there is no electricity. Welders who require generator can also purchase it as the generators can be used to power other things insofar as the load capacity is not exceeded.
- It serves as both a welding machine and a generator even though the generator is specifically meant for the powering of the welding machine. The generator can be used to run other power tools.
- It delivers impressive power and good penetration for good welding result.
- The engine when it is running does not make much noise.
- It does not have any throttle control meaning that engine operates fully starting from the time it is put on to the time it is put off.
- The wheels are not large and thus it can be difficult to move it on a lawn.
- The handles seem not be great just because of the weight of the product.
Hobart Champion Elite
Hobart 500562 Champion Elite is a big welding machine featuring a generator which is capable of generating 11,000 Watts power. With generator, you will be able to power some power tools and even some household appliances making it a great backup power source during power failure. It features a 4-cycle OHV and 23 horsepower Kohler twin cylinder engine for powering it. However, the unit it can be weighty given that it is a welder and generator in one. It has a product weight of 499 pounds and product package dimension of 20 x 28 x 41 inches. It has a duty cycle of 100 percent, 23 horsepower, 725cc engine displacement, 40 to 225 DC welding amperage range. It is specifically designed to be used for welding of stainless steel. The generator tank has a capacity of 12 gallon which is big enough to ensure continuous power supply for many hours or a day job.
It is an option for people that work in places where is there is no access to electricity. It can also be a good option for workers that have other power tools to power or have a need for backup power source.
- It has dual purpose; it is used as a welder and as a generator.
- It delivers good power required for enhanced welding result.
- It is sold for a great price.
- It is EPA certified.
- It is both AC and DC welds.
- The problem with this welder/generator is that it provides only current constantly while the voltage is not regular. Given this mechanism, you will not be able to plug into the machine a MIG spool gun.
Hobart brand name speaks volume in the industry thanks to its quality products which are embodiment of durability and performance. When it is time for you to purchase a welding machine, you are likely going to be happy with your choice if you go with a Hobart welder. However, you should ensure you purchase equipment specifically for your requirements. All Hobart welders reviewed above have gained great feedbacks from their users. So, you can choose any of them that meets your requirements in the list based on the experience of current users.