Hobart Ironman 230 is strongly created to give better welding results than its competitors. It is created for light industrial welding works. It offers impressive versatility doubling as both a MIG welder and shielded flux cored welder. It produces enough welding power and thus it is capable of handling any welding requirements for its type of welding unit. It can be used to weld aluminum and stainless steel. The welding machine is designed to weld mild steel materials with thickness range of up to 1/2 inch in one single phase. It has beaten the competition in many aspects including value for money, voltage control, duty cycle and arc quality. Its output is within the range of 30A to 250A which makes it a great tool for both do-it-yourself hobbyists and professionals. Ironman 230 delivers a duty cycle of 60% at 175A. Thus, it is an option for any welder who wants a welding machine that delivers longer duty cycle and higher output amperage.
Features and specification
Though, Hobart Ironman 230 can be used for welding in the farm, garden and for other repair and maintenance works around the house, it is best suited for industrial sites as it is designed to operate with 230V input power. Besides, it is not able to function very well on normal household power supply outlet. Users of this product will enjoy smooth easy-to-control arc as well as maximum control of their voltage thanks to the voltage control which the product is equipped with. They will not encounter any difficulty in reading their settings regardless of the position they are welding from. This is because the unit has an impressive digital display. The Ironman 230 delivers stunning output range of between 30-250A which is the largest in its level.
With this product, spare part and change over time is greatly minimized thanks to the reversible drive rolls which the product comes with. This feature is comprised of double grooves for 2 different sizes of wire on each of the rolls. With this arrangement, users will not spend much time changing their drive rolls. The implication of this is that little amount of money will be spent on replacement parts.
The machine also comes with infinite wire speed control which makes for enhanced weld bead shape adjustment. It also helps users to gain a better control of penetration. When handling more challenging welding task, Ironman 230 does not get overheated as a result of overload thanks to the built-in thermal overload protection. This feature offers the welder a protection against overheat. Little or no contaminants enter into the machine during welding because it has the fan-on-demand which functions whenever, there is a need for that. With the feature, there is reduction in the amount of power consumed by the machine.
Hobart 230 is great when it comes to the user convenience and productivity. The hinged feeder panel helps to achieve this. This feature makes it possible for users to access the wiring feeder panel very easily. It is equipped with unique spool hub which makes its easier for users to change their wire spools thanks to its system of brake tension knob which does not require any tool. It also features an automatic wire alignment. The welder also features a built-in running gear/cylinder rack and a complete 200 amp gun.
Part number: 500536
Item model number: 500536
Item weight: 270 pounds
Product dimensions: 36.5 x 18.9 x 31.5 inches
Installation method: mig welding
Voltage: 151 volts
Power cord: 10 feet
Wire feed speed control included: yes
Regulator and gas hose included: yes
Weldable metals: aluminum, stainless steel and mild steel
Clamp cable length: 10 feet
Flux core wire: No
Welding wire diameter: .023/.024, .030, .035, .045
- It generates good power and delivers stunning welding result as well as good smooth arc with little or no spatter during welding. Thus, operators do not have much post-weld cleanup to do.
- Though its not very portable but it is easy enough to be set up and utilized. It comes with detailed user manual with well written instruction and guideline on how to set up the machine with well labelled images to help operators set up their machine.
- It has impressive versatility. It can be used for welding on different application and for different purposes such as construction, fabrication, auto repair and maintenance work, rental and home use. Besides, it can be used to weld different kinds of metal materials such as aluminum, steel and stainless steel.
- This welding machine as well as all the accessories it comes with are covered with Hobart 5/3/1 warranty. Thus, operators will have a rest of mind that even if something happens to their machine as a result of the manufacturer’s error, they will get a replacement or their welding machine will be taken care of by the company. The warranty instruction is contained in the user manual in case you want more information, kindly check there.
- It is a value for money considering its performance and cost.
- The power cable and ground cable are not very lengthy to the likening of many people. There is complaints against the wire guide as it is not in alignment with the rollers.
- With a product weight of 270 pounds and a product dimension of 36.5 x 18.9 x 31.5 inches, this Hobart MIG welder is not very portable. It is a little bit weighty and thus, its not a good option for outdoor sites and rental shops. However, the designers try to overcome this imperfection by providing the welding unit with wheels. When it is mounted on its wheels, users will not encounter much problem moving it to and fro.
- It has high power requirement and this makes it unsuitable for use at home as it will not be able to run on household power supplies.
- The welding unit does not operate with generators.
Hobart Ironman 230 is a great tool for any welder searching for a MIG welding machine for light industrial welding task. It is versatile and generates great power for tackling any kind of welding task. It provides high duty cycle and this welds thickest material within the best possible time. It has enhanced features which a good number of products in its class do not have. Thus, owning it is a value for money.